If you are guilty of never having stopped to think about how you’re treating your face, then perhaps its time to rethink your grooming regime – and learn a little about the art of shaving…
A trip to Derby-based barbershop The Dandy Gent for a traditional wet shave (just £10) will give you a taste for the superior feeling you experience following a quality shave – and help you understand how to get the most out of your daily routine at home.
If you cannot spare the time or a tenner, here’s a step-by-step guide to a quality shave courtesy of Shane O’Shaughnessy, Head Barber and Master Apothecary at The Dandy Gent – the midlands’ premier traditional barbershop and manufacturer or traditional male grooming products!
SHAVING THE DANDY GENT WAY
- Exfoliate to remove debris – such as dry skin and any remnants of the previous nights ‘repast’ – from the shaft of your hair.
- Rub a small amount of The Dandy Gent Shaving Oil* deeply into the face. Warm a small, clean towel. *Other brands of Shave Oil are, of course, available.
- Place the warm towel over the face to open the pores and soften your hair. The towel should be as warm as your face can tolerate comfortably, and be in position for 2-3 minutes.
- Apply your well lathered shaving cream or soap. Read our Shaving Q&A to help you decide which is more suitable for you.
- Shave with a straight razor – or with a sharp disposable blade. Shave in the direction your hair grows for the first pass (with the grain). You should feel your face to get to know which way your hair grows. If it feels smooth – that direction is ‘with the grain’ if it feels rough – that direction is “against the grain”.
- Once again apply your chosen form of lather, and conduct your second pass – this time you can shave against the grain of your hair. Repeat again if you feel necessary.
- When you are happy with your shave, reheat your towel and place it once again on your face. Leave it in place for 2-3 minutes.
- Gently smooth a sparing amount of Hydrating Gel into your face, and enjoy the smooth touch and the fresh feeling you have just invested 10 minutes of your time to achieve!
- Finish off by closing your pores with a cold towel on your face – left for a 2 blissful minutes.
- Dab aftershave or our own Splash on to the heat points (behind the ears) for a subtle fragrance that will arouse the interest of all those around you.
And the final stage of any man’s shave…
- Take a moment to admire your smooth skin and stroke it with a sense of pride and superiority. Raise your head and lift your shoulders before stepping out – it’s a feeling a lesser man would simply never comprehend!